Mr. Phelps McIIvaine donated the Prowler Memorial Obelisk to the City to honor his nephew, William McIIvaine III, who died during a Navy training exercise in 2013. The Park Board unanimously approved the placement of the Obelisk at the Windjammar Park on May 10, 2021 and City Council approved the placement at the August 4, 2021 City Council meeting.
Public Works Parks Division crews started the installation process on August 11, 2021. The current installation schedule is:
- August 12, 2021: Complete forming the concrete pad
- August 13, 2021: Relocate the benches from the Pasek Vault to the Public Works shop for repairs (touching up the paint due to salt air) - eventually they will be placed at Windjammer Park
- August 16, 2021: Concrete poured and Obelisk taken to the Public Works shop for cleaning and inspection
- August 17, 2021: Positioned the granite base of the obelisk
- August 18, 2021: Plan to complete the construction of the memorial, install the benches, and mulch the beds adjacent to the memorial
The anticipated cost to install the Prowler Memorial Obelisk at Windjammar Park is $4,200.