Ten Most Common Code Violations

Property Maintenance

All properties shall be maintained so as to not create a public nuisance. This includes grass and weeds not to exceed 12 inches in height, accumulation of trash and garbage, appliances, furniture, and other types of clutter.

Disposing of Household Garbage

Garbage collection is mandatory for every household, apartment, condominium, single-family dwelling, trailer courts, and industrial or commercial buildings in the City of Oak Harbor.

Obstruction within the Right-of-Way

Portable basketball goals and skateboard ramps are prohibited from being used in the street, cul-de-sacs, planter strip, and sidewalk.

Building without a Permit

A building permit is required for all structures over 120 square feet. This includes additions, alterations, decks, patios, and changes in use.

Sign Code Violations

A sign permit is required prior to installation or erection of new or substantial alteration of existing signs. No signs shall be placed in the public right-of-way unless otherwise allowed by ordinance.

Use of Recreational Vehicles and Accessory Structures as a Dwelling Unit.

It is prohibited to utilize campers, travel trailers, motorhomes or storage sheds as habitable space on a permanent basis.

Vehicles Repairs

All vehicle repairs shall be performed within an enclosed permanent structure or garage. Vehicle repairs are not allowed on any city street or city right-of-way. The use of membrane structures or other portable structures (tarp style) for this use is prohibited.

Junk Vehicles

A junk vehicle is a vehicle that meets three of the following conditions;

  • Is at least three years old
  • Is extensively damaged
  • Is apparently inoperable
  • Must have a fair market value equal to only the approximate value of the scrap of the vehicle

To report a junk vehicle contact; ICOM Dispatch at 360-679-9567

Vehicle Parking

Vehicles shall not be parked in such a manner that they obstruct the following;

  • a crosswalk
  • a sidewalk
  • parking strip adjacent to a sidewalk
  • any intersections

To report a parking violation contact; ICOM Dispatch at 360-679-9567

Illegal Water Meter Turn On

It is unlawful for any person to turn on or off a water meter at any premises without authorization from the city of Oak Harbor.