washington state department of children, youth & families

Children living in homes with domestic violence are at high risk of physical and emotional abuse. The role of CPS is to make sure that children are not hurt. A social worker may need to investigate if there is a violent incident at your home.

Law enforcement officers, social service providers and others are mandated by the state to report to CPS if they feel a child is in danger.

In Island County, law enforcement agencies, CPS and social service providers work closely together because all are very concerned about the safety and welfare of children. If you need help undertaking the response of the police or CPS, you are encouraged to contact a domestic violence advocate at Citizens Against Domestic and Sexual Abuse. Their goal is to help you protect your children.