Paid-on-Call Firefighter Positions
The Oak Harbor Fire Department is a combination department; we are staffed by career firefighters and paid-on-call firefighters who provide emergency response, department management, and maintenance of facilities and equipment.
The Paid-on-Call Firefighting (POCFF) program is both a training program and critical component to staffing the department and providing 24/7 service to the City of Oak Harbor. POCFFs are involved in fire suppression, emergency medical and rescue calls, training, fire prevention, inspections, routine testing and maintenance of equipment, and much more. Being a POCFF involves a strong commitment to the community and to the department.
When joining the department, POCFFs agree to abide by the department standard operating procedures, guidelines, and all City of Oak Harbor personnel rules. In addition, the following requirements must be met to apply and maintain employment with the department:
- 18 years of age.
- Valid Washington State Driver's License
- Driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier.
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language.
- Ability to meet training requirements (Monday nights or Tuesday/Thursday mornings) upon appointment.
- Ability to pass physical abilities assessment and maintain physical fitness.
- Be of good moral character and temperament suitable for the fire service.
- Must live or work within a 2.5-mile radius of any Oak Harbor Fire Department station. Currently, the only station is located at 855 E Whidbey Avenue, Oak Harbor, WA 98277.
To apply as a Lateral POCFF (experienced) you must also meet these additional qualifications:
- IFSAC Firefighter I Certification that meets Washington State standards.
- Volunteer or career fire service with a fire department or fire district.
All potential applicants must review these linked documents:
- Paid-on-Call Firefighter Recruitment Information Manual,
- Sample Recruiting Schedule,
- Physical abilities testing procedures and score sheet.
Paid-on-Call Firefighter Hiring Process
Entry-level POCFF program applications will be accepted during open recruiting periods, held annually or as needed. No experience is necessary to apply, we will train; however you must meet the minimum qualifications to move forward in the hiring process. Positions will be listed on the City's Job Openings page and announcements will be posted on the Department's Facebook page, and banners will be displayed outside of Station 81.
Lateral POCFFs may be able to apply outside of open recruiting periods. Contact our training officer if you are interested, and qualified, to apply as a lateral/experienced POCFF.