Career Firefighter / EMT Positions
When available, Career firefighter/EMT positions are listed with National Testing Network, Inc. and posted to the City of Oak Harbor Job Opportunities page. The Oak Harbor Civil Service Commission, an independent board, oversees the hiring process.
Career Firefighter jobs are not true entry-level positions, prior firefighting experience and certifications are required. To gain this experience and training, consider joining our Paid-on-Call Firefighting program.
You can prepare for future career firefighter/EMT job openings by establishing an active account with National Testing Network, Inc. completing the testing process, and being placed on the eligibility list for Oak Harbor Fire Department.
What to expect at the National Testing Network website:
- Initial application process (personal history questionnaire)
- Information related to the City of Oak Harbor position, including minimum requirements, salary and benefits.
- Detailed information about the testing process for both the written entrance exam and candidate physical abilities test (CPAT).
- Opportunity to take online practice tests.
- Schedule a convenient test time; tests are offered multiple times a week, including Saturdays.
- Take high quality job simulation tests in a standardized, fair testing environment.
Upon completion of the written entrance exam and CPAT, all candidate scores are automatically forwarded to the Oak Harbor Civil Service Commission. Candidates who attain a passing score on both the entrance exam and CPAT will be placed on eligibility lists for their chosen departments. When a position becomes available, the Oak Harbor Civil Service Commission will contact candidates on the list and will invite them to continue to participate in additional stages of the selection process.
National Testing Network is a service provided to conduct initial candidate testing in a standardized, professional environment. National Testing Network does not replace the Oak Harbor Fire Department's responsibility and decision making in the testing process. All candidate results are provided to Oak Harbor Civil Service Commission, where the final decisions are made.