Office of the Mayor
Mayor Robert Severns
I was born, raised, and completed high school in a small city in southwest Washington. After high school, I moved to Ellensburg (a slightly larger city) to complete my bachelor's degree in Business / Administrative Management, and began my professional career there, in Title Insurance and Escrow. I have lived in Oak Harbor for 47 years and I love every day here!
My education, training, and learned skills as a private business owner and manager have helped me contribute to solid, sound decisions for the citizens of Oak Harbor. In order to reach my goals to protect the quality of life in Oak Harbor, which includes strong schools and a supportive economy, I encourage the ideas and input of staff and citizens alike.
During the past 47 years, I have enjoyed actively serving our community on several volunteer boards and committees:
- LEOFF I Board, former member
- City of Oak Harbor Civil Service Board, former member
- Limited Practice Law Board - appointed by the Washington State Supreme Court
- Greater Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce - served as director and in all officer positions
- Oak Harbor High School Business Advisory Committee
- Navy League - life member and former board member
- Oak Harbor Rotary - served as director and in all officer positions
- Child Abuse Protection Foundation - former Board of Directors
- Island County Economic Development Council
- Oak Harbor Downtown Development Committee - for Chamber of Commerce
- Oak Harbor Main Street - former Board of Directors
- Island County Board of Health
- Island County Council of Governments
- Island County Law and Justice Council
- NAS Whidbey Task Force
- Northwest Clean Air Agency - Board President
In March 2008, I was fortunate to receive an appointment to serve as Councilmember, position 4, for the City of Oak Harbor. I served as a Councilmember until January 2016, when I was honored to be elected to serve as Mayor of our beautiful city. In January 2020 I began my second term as Mayor. Thank you for your trust - together we can keep Oak Harbor safe, beautiful, and promising.